Lab Post #11 (10/3/16)

We got our results today!

Over the weekend, Yiwen emailed us a chart with the data that the spectrophotometer collected. It looked like this:

int-124

I know, I know. WHAT ARE ALL THOSE NUMBERS?! To break it down, the excel sheet shows the absorbance of every cell, every 20 minutes, over 24 hours. We shared our well plate with another group and so rows 10, 11, and 12 are not relevant to our experiment. Each of the letters coincides with a pH (A-2, B-3, C-4 etc.) In looking at this data, we also took into account the five contaminated wells from our plate (E7,E8,E9,D6,G3) and therefore will not be analyzing their data. Remember, we also had 3 trials, per pH, per strain.

In order to make our data more concise, we are first creating graphs for every pH of every strain so that we can observe the relationships between our replicates. From these graphs, we are obtaining the greatest absorbance rate of each replicate. Then we will average those slopes and find the standard deviation. For our presentation, we will be comparing this average and standard deviation of each strain for every pH using a box and whisker plot.

This is what our data looked like for pH 7:

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 4.07.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-03 at 4.20.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 4.10.44 PM.png

Each of these graphs represents the three replicates per strain at the pH of 7. We can observe that there was a normal growth curve in the wild and TOS3 deficient strains and nearly no growth in the SAK1 deficient.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s