Lab Post #21 (11/07/16)

We got our yeast starburst plates back today, and there was some growth in the Wild type plate in channel 6 and a little bit in channel 8. Note that there was only one replicate for the wild type due to contamination while plating the YPD.

img_1009

In this TOS3 deficient replicate, there was mold growth between channels 3 and 4. Also, there is some yeast growth within channels 4 and 6.

img_1010

In this TOS3 Deficient replicate, there are multiple spots of yeast growth in channels 4 and 8.

img_1012

In this SAK1 Deficient replicate, there is mold growth between channels 7 and 8, as well as no visible growth.

 

In this SAK1 Deficient replicate, we are not sure whether the red-ish dots between channels 5, 6, and 7 are yeast or mold. Note the lack of YPD in channel 4, due to resource restrictions.

img_1011

 

We also received our new 3D prints. However, while cleaning out the print to make it smoother, the manometer became detached. So, we fixed it using Gorilla Glue. In order to easily see if the mold is set, we broke the top part of one of the halves and wrapped the entire print in Saran Wrap.

img_1017
Here is our new mold, with the manometer glued to the box.

However, there was a problem with the PDMS leaking through the Saran Wrap. We fixed it by taking the top we broke off and gluing it to the open ended part of the box. The PDMS did not leak through, which was great, and we vacuumed the entire mold for 15 minutes to prepare for placing it in the oven for 30 minutes.

img_1019
This is where we vacuumed the mold (which is in the clear cylinder).

 

We also determined today how we will dissolve the PLA in order to remove the PDMS from the mold. Based on the test dissolves we started on Wednesday, we decided to go with the acrylic liquid weld because it removes the PLA is 20 minutes without destroying the PDMS, whereas the NaOH dissolved everything and the DRAINO had some effect, but was very slow.

 

img_1016
Result of the acrylic liquid weld; the crystallization is due to almost a week of exposure.

 

img_1015
This is the NaOH. There is nothing left behind.

 

img_1014
This is the DRAINO. There is some dissolved PLA, however it is very little.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s